We love our cashew coconut energy bites, but I know what it’s like, sometimes you can’t be bothered to go and buy loads of ingredients you won’t use again. Sometimes I just like to keep things simple, so here we have my simplest easy energy bites. I’ve given some flexibility below, as long as you stick with the amounts all should be well with the world. The food processor will sort most adaptations. Trust me, I’ve been making bites since 2016.
But don’t skimp on the chocolate, we all love chocolate right?
Easy Chocolate Energy Bites
This is a very flexible recipe for easy energy bites, stick to the recipe or you can mix it up with what you have. The choice is yours.
Makes 14 bite size, or you can roll them bigger.
Four core ingredients
NB: A few hours (or more) before you want to make your bites, soak your cashews and in a separate bowl soak your dates if they are the shrivelled kind not plump. If they look like they’ve been in the bath too long, give em a soak! If you are in a super rush use boiling water to speed up the process. These ones below do not need soaking.
120g mix of cashews and other nuts if you want to use some up. I used 80g cashews and some walnuts
100g pitted dates (see note above)
1/2 tsp vanilla (or almond) extract
2 tbsp chocolate chips. I used plain chocolate to make them vegan
A pinch of sea salt… yes I didn’t count this above, but I’m trusting you all to have salt.
I rolled my bites in powdered flax, but this step is completely optional, I left my cashew bites naked! The possibilities are endless, so if you’ve got some random stuff powdered in the cupboard give it a go, for example:
- Milled seeds
- Desiccated Coconut
- Maca Powder
- Spirulina Powder
- Cocoa Powder
- Freeze dried raspberries
(See notes before the recipe above)
- Reserving the water, drain your cashews
- In a food processor, grind the cashews until they are fine like breadcrumbs.
- Add the drained, pitted dates, vanilla extract and salt to the food processor and pulse until it comes together as a ball. If it doesn’t come together add a bit of the reserved cashew water, 1 teaspoonful at a time.
- When you have a big ball rolling around in your food processor, add the chocolate chips and pulse once more until they are incorporated.
- If you are dusting get your powdered bits ready sprinkled out on a plate. If you don’t like getting sticky hands rub them with some olive/coconut/other oil. Take a heaped teaspoonful at a time and roll into a ball shape between your hands then roll in the powder then move to a plate/board.
- Repeat for all your bites, then chill the bites in the fridge until you want to eat them.
I hope it’s the same for you, but no matter how hard I try my bites get progressively bigger as I roll along.
What would be your dream energy bite flavour combination? Sticky Toffee Pudding might be my next adaptation.